[lbo-talk] Fwd: Oct. 25th: March for an end to the occupation of Iraq!

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Sep 15 12:42:50 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:03:17 -0700
>> Subject: Oct. 25th: March for an end to the occupation of Iraq!
>>
>> United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) and Act Now to Stop War & End
>> Racism (ANSWER) are joining forces to call on all those who oppose the
>> war, invasion and occupation of Iraq, to unite on Saturday, October 25
>> in Washington, D.C., for a truly massive outpouring reflecting the
>> growing popular opposition to the Bush Administration’s foreign and
>> domestic program.

In other words, the authoritarians who want to run all of activism have teamed up because the support for their individual coalitions is fading. It's pretty clear now that UFPJ was the liberal NGO/Democratic Party/AFL-CIO entryist effort into the anti-war movement. Since ANSWER placed itself first into the "leadership position" of the anti-war movement (sic), the Beltway liberals who have backed the NGO wing of the anti-globalization movement decided that they needed something to compete with ANSWER. Given how weak ANSWER is these days, you have to wonder if UFPJ is doing this to manipulate ANSWER out of the picture. ANSWER's street cred will take another big hit in weeks to come as a new scandal involving them comes to light.

I've been looking into the players behind ANSWER and it turns out that the same liberal political manipulators that have been involved in the anti-globalization movement are pursuing somebody's agenda through UFPJ. This became even more clear over the summer when an internal democracy effort at the Chicago UFPJ was quashed. UFPJ may have a more solid basis in the grassroots, but it is heading in the direction of ANSWER, both internally and physically.

Chuck0