[lbo-talk] Re: Oct. 25th: March for an end to the occupation of Iraq!

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 16 09:11:15 PDT 2003

[I'm cc'ing this note to the listserv of the United for Peace and Justice steering committee.]

At 3:08 PM -0400 9/15/03, the publisher of _Left Business Observer_ & author of _After the New Economy_ <http://www.thenewpress.com/newcat_1.htm> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> forwarded the announcement of the October 25 march against the occupation of Iraq:
>Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:03:17 -0700
>Subject: Oct. 25th: March for an end to the occupation of Iraq!
>
>United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) and Act Now to Stop War & End
>Racism (ANSWER) are joining forces to call on all those who oppose
>the war, invasion and occupation of Iraq, to unite on Saturday,
>October 25 in Washington, D.C., for a truly massive outpouring
>reflecting the growing popular opposition to the Bush
>Administration's foreign and domestic program.

* It would be great if Doug could help UFPJ and ANSWER mobilize activists for the October 25 demonstration to end the occupation of Iraq by:

** featuring information about October 25 on the homepage of _Left Business Observer_ at <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/LBO_home.html>; & ** interviewing UFPJ and ANSWER organizers about organizing against the occupation of Iraq on Doug's radio show on WBAI (Cf. <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html>).

Among UFPJ staffers and steering committee members, I recommend Hany Khalil <hanykhalil at igc.org>, UFPJ's Iraq program coordinator, as a guest on the program (I'm cc'ing this posting to Hany -- contact Doug and promote O25 and other UFPJ Iraq actions & campaigns).

* It would be wonderful if Liza could interview UFPJ and ANSWER organizers about October 25, etc. for an article in _The Nation_ (the last _Nation_ article by Liza Featherstone <lfeather32 at erols.com> about anti-war activism came out in the August 4, 2003 issue <http://www.thenation.com/directory/bios/bio.mhtml?id=45> -- it's time for a new article about peace & justice organizing in _The Nation_).

* I'd love to hear C.S. Soong & Sasha Lilley <sashalilley at YAHOO.COM> interview UFPJ and ANSWER organizers for _Living Room Radio_ and have them discuss organizing against the occupation of Iraq on KPFA <http://www.livingroomradio.org/>.

* There should be articles by Seth Sandronsky <ssandron at hotmail.com> about October 25 in _Because People Matter_ (Sacramento), at Common Dreams <http://www.commondreams.org/>, etc.

* There ought to be articles about mobilizing activists for October 25 in _CounterPunch_, _Z Magazine_, etc.

* Carl Estabrook should promote October 25 on his radio show on WEFT <http://www.weftfm.org/shows/Pubaff.html>, etc.

* Could John Mage have info about the October 25 demonstration placed on the _Monthly Review_ website <http://www.monthlyreview.org/>?

* Could Jim Cullen <jcullen at austin.rr.com> publish an article about organizing against the occupation of Iraq in _The Progressive Populist_ and include info about October 25 in the _Progressive Populist_ website <http://www.populist.com/>?

* Could Steve Perry <sperry at citypages.com> publish an article about organizing against the occupation of Iraq in _City Pages_ (Twin Cities) and include info about October 25 at Cursor <http://www.cursor.org/>?

* Is it possible for Jeet Heer <jeet at sturdynet.com> to write up articles about organizing against the occupation of Iraq for the _Boston Globe_, the _National Post_ (Toronto), etc.?

* I await entries by Max Sawicky <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> about October 25 at <http://www.maxspeak.org/> & <http://www.nowarblog.org/>. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>