[lbo-talk] Re: Guy Debord

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 15 16:41:33 PDT 2003

Guy Debord writes:

"The cinema, too, must be destroyed."

Joanna wrote:

I really liked Debord's book "La Societe du Spectacle" (Society of Spectacle)-- there is much in there that is enormously valuable as cultural and political critique. And it is a short, short book too, which is good. But Debord, being French, can get carried away by the logic of ideas....

I think what Debord meant by the "destruction of cinema" was the destruction of film as commodified image.

"What is constantly new in the process of production of things is not found in consumption, which remains the expanded repetition of the same. In spectacular time, since dead labor continues to dominate living labor, the past dominates the present." http://library.nothingness.org/articles/all/en/display/23

What was wrong with commodified cinema was that it encouraged a separation of art from life, just as the use-value as commodity separates the product from the producer. We become mere passive consumers in the commodified world of market democracy. Debord and crew thought a better world than that was possible.

For the end of dead time, Mike B)

===== ***************************************************************** We have nothing that is ours except time, which even those without a roof can enjoy.

Baltasar Gracián, Oráculo manual y Arte de prudencia

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal