[lbo-talk] vanishing warrior spirit

Michael Simkin simkin_michael at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 16:58:34 PDT 2003

> As for "warrior cultures" -- it has a fine ring to it -- Tolstoy was
> impressed, but in reality is it not simply another form of parasitism?
>And isn't the longing for it simply a nostalgia for "those times" when
those
>who rule do so by some "natural" right like physical prowess and
> courage...rather than by the (unmanly) virtue of financial speculation
> (theft) and exploitation (theft).

Well, if you call financial speculation "theft", than you may consider calling militarism "butchery" (think of Agincourt).

Albeit you correctly identified the tendency. I've heard that Grand Prince Romanov works as a broker in London Stock Exchange.

Yukio Mishima, who in 197? committed hara-kiri to complete his literary work, shortly before his death complained that nowadays the only Japanese who do possess the Samurai Spirit are members of Yakuza gangs.

I read an article in Soaring magazine about making of the movie "Thomas Crown Affair". They shot some of it at a glideport. And the chief actor, Pierce Brosnan (also known as James Bond) never flew a glider even as a passenger. An understudy of the chief actress was the only one to actually fly the glider. Now think: if you are at a glideport and they offer you a free ride, why not go? Acrofobia?

Mikhail Simkin --- http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~simkin/