[lbo-talk] Re: Toklien Popularity//Modernization

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 15 20:25:44 PDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:49:20 -0500, Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> Brian Siano wrote:
>
>> But I should warn you. In your answer, you _should_ be able to answer
>> how an international power grid would be developed, and how the
>> technologies would be developed. You should be able to explain why
>> researchers in a hypothetically non-capitalist system of 1900 or so
>> would forgo the use of fossil fuels in favor of other sources of energy--
>>

>> and why their political beliefs would determine their decision.
>
> I don't have to put together some kind of alternative energy plan for the
> year 1900, because my point was that technology is not neutral.

You said that power plants (of certain types) require _capitalist_ industrialism to exist. I argued that industrialism _alone_ requires such things, and that the economic system was much less relevant than you'd claimed.

To disprove this, you'd have to explain how other forms of energy production would have come about, to the exclusion of those mentioned, under other political systems.

Granted, you don't _have_ to make this argument; nobody's forcing you. But if you don't, I'm afraid you'll have to live with others regarding your earlier comments as unsupported garbage.