[lbo-talk] Re: Toklien Popularity//Modernization

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Sep 16 08:57:54 PDT 2003

Brian Siano wrote:

> I see your argument so far as the last two sentences-- where there is
> something of a contradiction. You say that technology isn't inherently
> neutral. Wouldn't this position _require_ making moral judgements on the
> technology? And while you say you haven't made arguments about which
> technologies you prefer, you've made no secret of your distaste for coal
> and nuclear power plants.

Sorry, but you are reading my opinion into an example I used to point out the negative aspects of modern technology, which disprove the canard that "technology is neutral." There are examples of modern technology that are positive, which also disprove the idea that technology is neutral.

Of course, there is alot that can be said about which technologies one likes, which ones are appropriate for the world we seek to live on, and the idea that thinkign critically about technology enables us to make better decisions about technology (which the Amish already practice). But several people here are missing my point in their rush to establish that I'm dissing certain forms of modern technology. I used these easy examples to demonstrate that technology implies certain social and economic relationships.

Does anybody here know about the "tech tree" in Civilization?

Chuck0