[lbo-talk] Re: Toklien Popularity//Modernization

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 16 09:47:14 PDT 2003

Chuck0 wrote:

> Brian Siano wrote:
>
>> I see your argument so far as the last two sentences-- where there is
>> something of a contradiction. You say that technology isn't
>> inherently neutral. Wouldn't this position _require_ making moral
>> judgements on the technology? And while you say you haven't made
>> arguments about which technologies you prefer, you've made no secret
>> of your distaste for coal and nuclear power plants.
>

> Sorry, but you are reading my opinion into an example I used to point
> out the negative aspects of modern technology, which disprove the
> canard that "technology is neutral." There are examples of modern
> technology that are positive, which also disprove the idea that
> technology is neutral.

Your argument was that, since the existence of coal and nuclear power plants implied the existence of industrial capitalism, the technologies were not "neutral"-- mainly over the "capitalism" part. We've repeatedly asked about technology that arose (or might have arisen) under other economic structures. This, you've refused to answer.