[lbo-talk] USA 2003

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Sep 16 10:29:44 PDT 2003

From: Brian Siano

And when things are dark, it's harder to see predators approaching. There's more danger. Frightening. And this'd be true _regardless_ of notions of race. ^^^^^ CB: On the other hand, when it's light, it's easier for your predator to see you. In this regard, light is more dangerous, and this too is true regardless of notions of race.

In other words, the European cultural association of darkness with bad, and whiteness with good, probably is part of the complex of racism, European light skin relative to African, et al, darker skin, not some crosscultural response to the natural danger or fearfulness of the night. Europeans originated the current focus on skin color and the terminology "white/black". ^^^^^

One of the young
> children
> I used to mentor in Harlem was fascinated by the phone on my desk. When
> asked why he said he liked it. And why did he like it? He said he liked
> it
> because it was white.

And what's wrong with liking an object for its color? If he'd said he liked it because it was red, would that make him a Communist? If he liked it because it was blue, would he be asserting his cultural background? If he liked it because it was brown, would that make him a coprophiliac? ^^^^ CB: We don't know why this particular child liked the white phone. However, in general, Black people are influenced by racism and anti-dark ideas and attitudes too. This is a well-known, ironic phenomenon of the multi-variately perverse phenomenon of anti-dark, anti-Black racism. ^^^^^