[lbo-talk] Re: joined at the hip?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Sep 16 11:18:27 PDT 2003

frank scott wrote:

> whether technology is biased, neutral, arbitrary or whatever is an
> interesting argument or discussion in a classroom, but the thing to do
> is use the tech for transforming the bad into the good, when possible,
> and dumping the shit when it can't be used for anything good...nuclear
> and other anti-personnel bombs can do nothing but kill people, but
> blasting holes in the earth in order to sink bridge suppports can bring
> people together, just as corporate televison and phones can help sell
> lots of crap, or bring people into contact with one another...etc...

Why stop with nuclear and anti-personnel bombs. What about all of the other modern tech we use? How can you "use it for good" when it depends on an international system of capitalism, colonization, globalization, and neoliberalism? Why should the Hopi traditionalists move off of their land so that the corporations can get materials to make technology that you will use for "good"? Why should the Uwa accomodate capitalists who want to take stuff to make your "good" technology function? Why should the Iraqis put up with an invasion and occupation to provide us with cheap oil to make our "good" technology function? I mean, where exactly do they get those materials to make those "good" cell phones that allow people to be brought into conatct with each other? It seems to me that people have been contacting and communicating with each other for tens of thousands of years without the benefit of "good" technology such as cell phones.

Chuck0