[lbo-talk] RE: Technology not neutral

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Sep 16 13:36:02 PDT 2003

Shane Mage:
> looming, every Nuclear plant would be shut down tomorrow if
> the Price-Anderson act (which frees them from having to insure
> against the expected damages from the next Chernobyl-type
> accident) were to be repealed. There can be no doubt whatever

But that is an argument against socio-political ramifications of nuclear energy in a society where safety is a matter of insurance profiteering rather than risk sharing overseen by government.

I do not claim any special knowledge of the cost/benefit of energy production, but it seems to me that much of the current arguments, both pro and con, appeal to irrational fears rather than to rational calculations. What I would like to see is the total social cost and total social benefit of various modes of electricity production that include the following:

1. The cost of electricity generation 2. The cost of transmission 3. The full cost of waste disposal (pollution, spent fuel, etc.) 4. The full social effect (cost/ benefit) of underproduction/overproduction, i.e. what would happen if electricity was consistently produced at a lower/higher level than the current usage

5. Externalities of various types of power generating and transmission plants (job creation, health, impact on quality of life, environment etc.)

Wojtek