[lbo-talk] USA 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 16 14:53:53 PDT 2003

At 5:17 PM -0400 9/16/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Brian Siano wrote:
>
>>Empowering? Frankly, literary theory strikes me as one of the most
>>_crippling_ things ever devised. I've rarely seen anyone with a
>>background in literary theory acquire power, or even demonstrate an
>>ability to deliver power to those who need it most.
>
>According to Slavoj Zizek in Tarrying with the Negative:
>
>>Prior to becoming a revolutionary, Pol Pot was a professor at a
>>French lycée in Phnom Penh, known for his subtle readings of
>>Rimbaud and Mallarmé. Abimael Guzman, "presidente Gonzalo," the
>>leader of the Senderistas, is a philosophy professor whose
>>preferred authors are Hegel and Heidegger and whose doctoral thesis
>>was on Kant's theory of space.

Pol Pot was able to stay in power for only three and a half years, from 1975 to 1978; Abimael Guzman never succeeded in taking state power. In contrast to the literary and philosophical revolutionists, Fidel Castro, a trained lawyer, has managed to remain in power since 1959. Alas, reading law may be a superior preparation for a statesman than reading literature or philosophy. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>