[lbo-talk] Bush I sucks up to Putin

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 02:29:36 PDT 2003

"DON'T GET MY SON HERE - YOU'LL NEVER GET HIM OUT": BUSH, SR. TO PUTIN

SOCHI, SEPTEMBER 14 (RIA Novosti corr. Yelena Glushakova) - Russia's President Vladimir Putin is entertaining Mr. George Bush, Sr., and wife at the Bocharov Ruchei, presidential Black Sea coastal residence in Sochi, posh Russian spa. The former US President and First Lady have come here earlier on the day.

Mr. Bush, Sr., does not think Mr. Putin ought to ask the present US President and his son, with wife, to that fine place. "Think twice before you have George and Laura here, or you'll never know how to get rid of them," he chuckled.

He thanked the Russian President for a cordial reception and specially for a welcome at the airport. Once at home, he will be telling enthusiastic stories about how Barbara and he were treated in Russia, he promised. "What I am saying is not sheer diplomatic etiquette - those are words straight from my heart," added Mr. Bush, overcome with emotion.

He is sure his son, too, had warm and sincere feelings toward Russia and its President. This was one of the rare occasions on which he was speaking on his son's behalf, he said.

As Mr. Bush, Sr., acknowledged, he really was making it a point not to go into today's politics - or newshounds would hunt after differences between what he and his son were saying, and confront President Bush, Jr., with awkward queries. "But then, my son the US President and myself - we think exactly alike on matters of principle." That does not concern today's sojourn at the Russian leader's place. "I shall share the feelings I have with others." Mr. Putin, in his turn, pointed out their "mutual understanding, extremely good reciprocal feelings, and shared confidence".

_________________________________________________________________ Get 10MB of e-mail storage! Sign up for Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es