Marx, Brenner, Technology (Was Re: [lbo-talk] preferences)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 03:08:02 PDT 2003

>Is it "the fact of the matter"? Today's few surviving hunter-gatherers are
>getting a bum rap from governments -- they are "bad" nomads; "good" ones
>being the nomadic highly skilled professionals -- but that does not mean
>that life was/is idyllic.

Who said it was/is idyllic? I'm not a back-to-Naturist.

>And who says they don't get contagious diseases?

They do. But the big incubators of contagious diseases are cities. If you're an isolated hunter-gathering group that rarely comes across other people, who are you going to catch it from? There's a reason why European diseases flooded the New World and not vice versa. European and before them Near Eastern cities were like laboratories for whipping up biological WMD.

Moreover, they die