Marx, Brenner, Technology (Was Re: [lbo-talk] preferences)

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Thu Sep 18 02:23:52 PDT 2003

At 2:55 AM -0400 18/9/03, Chris Doss wrote:
>The fact of the matter is that vicious contagious diseases are a
>product of urbanization. Hunter-gatherers in fact (depending on
>climate) usually live pretty easy, work-free lives. Bushmen work
>something like 8 hours a week, The people who have to worry about
>bad weather are farmers.

Is it "the fact of the matter"? Today's few surviving hunter-gatherers are getting a bum rap from governments -- they are "bad" nomads; "good" ones being the nomadic highly skilled professionals -- but that does not mean that life was/is idyllic. And who says they don't get contagious diseases? Moreover, they die from simple ailments that no one should have to die of today. Just two weeks ago, I received news of someone who died of what sounds like septicaemia from a bad tooth/gum infection. Shucks, they even get cancers. And the women get gynecological disorders -- a female doctor is always a popular visitor because the women then get to talk to her about their problems. Three years ago, a 40+ year old woman I knew died of -- the description given was bleeding from the vagina.

kj khoo