Marx, Brenner, Technology (Was Re: [lbo-talk] preferences)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 23:55:44 PDT 2003

>Then it's a bias I freely admit to. Would I want to live in a subsistence
>society? No. No technology, little shelter, little or no medical resources,
>very little literature or intellectual life beyond the tribal religions and
>folk beliefs, short lifespan, subject to near-extinction when the weather
>turns bad for too long...

The fact of the matter is that vicious contagious diseases are a product of urbanization. Hunter-gatherers in fact (depending on climate) usually live pretty easy, work-free lives. Bushmen work something like 8 hours a week, The people who have to worry about bad weather are farmers.

>You might as well say that our dislike for a fascist dictatorship is a
>"bias" against it.

Subsistence society is an economy. Fascism is a government.

_________________________________________________________________ Get 10MB of e-mail storage! Sign up for Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es