[lbo-talk] Why "Cookie" 2

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Sep 18 09:31:13 PDT 2003

Oh, the reason why I was interested in the provenance of "cookie" is that I'm teaching an hour/week in my daughter's 5th grade class. My personal objective in doing this is to make them fall in love with language. One of the first topics I'll be looking at is "how we make up words." Since I've been buried in computer land for many years, I thought I could use computer jargon (that has entered the language) as an example of how we create words: bug, terminal, crash, cookie, net, etc.

But, it occurred to me that some of you might have other examples of domains within which words are made up. If so, feel free to contact me offlist and suggest examples.

Thanks lots,

Joanna