[lbo-talk] Re: No evidence...

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 09:56:54 PDT 2003

No, actually, I think we are not wired for logic. We are can be trained by brute force into thinking logically -- this is what I used to do to students who hated it, and it is the main effect of grad or law school, the ability to reason logically in a partial and limited way,a t least if one makes the effort. But it's not natural. When I used to car about these things, I read the work of Daniel Kahneman (a recent Nobel prizewinner in econ) and Amos Twersky, Philip Jphnson-Laird, and I actually had a class with Robert Nisbet of Nisbett and Ross, all of whom in different ways did empirical studies of huamn reasoning that showed we do not think in logic or probability theory, statistical reasoning is alien to us, etc. Miles is right that the research suggests we think in schemas and frames.

His just-so story (all evolutionary stories are just-so stories) is probably right, that thsi is optimization; it may be faster than logic, and allows for the sort of crude associations (river - food) that were useful back in the Pleistocene or whenever we evolved our cognitive capacity. Nothing musch probably rested on thea bility to do multiple steps of intricate reasoning very fast. (Nietzsche's theory, in The Geneaology of Morals, that this is a product of class society, a defense mechanism of slaves who have to think fast because they can't use force, is worth thinking about!)

The problems is that we have the cognitive equipment of hunter-gathering primates, useful for getting by on the African veldt of 1 million BC, in a complex modern society full of Hellfire missiles and hijackable airplanes. Consequently we tend not to be smart in the way we need to be. This, btw, =is why the Chomsky technique of overwhelming people with arguments and information does not work, but only irritates people. I have a hell of a time making myself remember this and act accordingly.

jks