[lbo-talk] No evidence

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Sep 18 13:48:45 PDT 2003

CB: My opinion is the uniqueness of human "wiring" is to think symbolically. And the essential quality of symbolic thinking is that it is inherently social thinking, as it involves conventions and arbitrary signifier-signified links that are of social origin. The symbol is actually "illogical" in that it identifies two things that are not identical, for example the series of sounds "d-o-g" with the animal canine. Nonetheless, symbolic thinking somehow, allows an enormous explosion in the individual's ability to share the experience and thoughts of other members of the species. Non-human animals think logically and rationally, but they are not able to share as many experiences , as much empirical material, so they don't have as many generalizations from which to make logical deductions. Also, without language ,the individuals can't share their reasonings with each other as readily. Animals have to rely a lot more on imitating each other's actions, actions they directly observe. So, they have relatively impoverished logical chains of thinking though not necessarily faulty. For American humans to equate Hussein and Bin Laden is logical in a way in that it maintains a simple consistency. Bad=Bad. The fundamental principle of formal logic is non-contradiction, tautology. In this case , it is sort of sympathetic magic , too - like begets like.

From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>

No, actually, I think we are not wired for logic. We are can be trained by brute force into thinking logically -- this is what I used to do to students who hated it, and it is the main effect of grad or law school, the ability to reason logically in a partial and limited way,a t least if one makes the effort. But it's not natural. When I used to car about these things, I read the work of Daniel Kahneman (a recent Nobel prizewinner in econ) and Amos Twersky, Philip Jphnson-Laird, and I actually had a class with Robert Nisbet of Nisbett and Ross, all of whom in different ways did empirical studies of huamn reasoning that showed we do not think in logic or probability theory, statistical reasoning is alien to us, etc. Miles is right that the research suggests we think in schemas and frames. -clip-