[lbo-talk] No Evidence ...

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Sep 18 18:53:33 PDT 2003

At 6:40 AM -0700 18/9/03, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>We are obviously not wired for logic.

Yes, this is a logical assumption, given that many people do not appear to think logically.

>I wonder what the evolutionary advantage is in
>thinking like that? Or do we survive despite thinking
>in this half-assed way? jks

You seem to have concluded that, if humans are not wired for logic, then we are wired for another way of thinking. A mistake that I notice everyone contributing to this topic appears to be making is that we are hard-wired to think either logically or otherwise.

There is another possibility, that the human brain comes without that kind of pre-wiring, it is programmed according to the experiences and needs of the user. I understand the latest science indicates that this is in fact the case.

The evolutionary advantages of this, over a pre-wired brain, are tremendous. It means humans as a species can adapt to hunter-gathering, agricultural or industrial society.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas