[lbo-talk] No Evidence ...

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 01:08:58 PDT 2003

Once human thinking began, whenever that was, the ability to analyze and react to specific situations without simply following a built-in program, i.e., rationality, obviously was extremely useful in general, and conferred a very great evolutionary advantage, so that H. sapiens (?) is by now in a position to screw the whole global ecosystem big-time with all of his cleverness.

--- Well, any animal more neurologically complicated than a snake is able to analyze situations. The big difference is language, which allows nuanced communication and transmission of information past an individual's own lifespan.

It's interesting to think about how many coincidences of evolution allowed human beings to do what they do. If there was no language, if there were no opposable things (or tentacles or whatever), if we lived underwater like dolphins (no fire), if we were solitary animals like cats (no social cooperation), if we had very short lifespans (not much time to accumulate experience)... technological civilization as we know it would have been impossible.

Of course some animals do have fairly nuanced communication systems: Dolphin sonar-pictures and octopus skin-color variation come to mind. They're not language as we think of it, but you can imagine how they might develop into something similar given time.

_________________________________________________________________ Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95. https://broadband.msn.com