[lbo-talk] RE: What Salam Palax thinks...

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Sun Sep 21 12:01:17 PDT 2003

joanna bujes wrote:
> I don't think it's possible for us to conceive what is
> happening in Iraq. Imagine 60% unemployment. Can
> you? I can't. Imagine that there's no water, electricity,
> food. Imagine an occupying force that obviously doesn't
> give a damn about you. Imagine tribal ties and loyalties
> and the crap that evolves after years and years and years
> of occupation, tyranny, hunger, bombings, ...
>
> I find it simply inconceivable. So to talk about "the
> guerrillas" -- as if this were some single organized force
>...is silly. There's a power vacuum and a struggle for power.

It plainly doesn't look disorganized lately. Not since the Jordanian embassy bombing, the UN bombing, and the assassination of al-Hakim.

> There are men with guns, and tanks, and bombs,
> and ...there are women and children and people
> simply struggling to survive all this. "Popular
> leaders"? How the hell would you know? What is it
> exactly that you do know?... ignorant of the culture,
> language, and ruminating over the evening news...
> thousands of miles away.

Yes, I try to pay attention to the news. And here I see it all being filtered through the strict binary of Empire & Resistance, where statements like this one, fwd'd by Michael Pugliese get flushed:

> ...She adds: "I find it absolutely incredible that the
> anti-war people are now calling for the coalition to
> leave straight away. Nobody in Iraq wants that. The
> opinion polls show it's just 13 per cent. Don't they
> care about the Iraqi people and what they want at
> all? This isn't a game. This isn't about poking a
> stick at George Bush. This is our lives."

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!