[lbo-talk] RE: What Salam Palax thinks...

joand315 joand315 at ameritech.net
Sun Sep 21 14:14:21 PDT 2003

Shane Taylor wrote:

> joanna bujes wrote:
>
>>I don't think it's possible for us to conceive what is
>>happening in Iraq. Imagine 60% unemployment. Can
>>you? I can't. Imagine that there's no water, electricity,
>>food. Imagine an occupying force that obviously doesn't
>>give a damn about you. Imagine tribal ties and loyalties
>>and the crap that evolves after years and years and years
>>of occupation, tyranny, hunger, bombings, ...
>>
>>I find it simply inconceivable. So to talk about "the
>>guerrillas" -- as if this were some single organized force
>>...is silly. There's a power vacuum and a struggle for power.

> It plainly doesn't look disorganized lately. Not since the Jordanian
> embassy bombing, the UN bombing, and the assassination of al-Hakim.

>>There are men with guns, and tanks, and bombs,
>>and ...there are women and children and people
>>simply struggling to survive all this. "Popular
>>leaders"? How the hell would you know? What is it
>>exactly that you do know?... ignorant of the culture,
>>language, and ruminating over the evening news...
>>thousands of miles away.

> Yes, I try to pay attention to the news. And here I see it all being
> filtered through the strict binary of Empire & Resistance, where
> statements like this one, fwd'd by Michael Pugliese get flushed:

>>...She adds: "I find it absolutely incredible that the
>>anti-war people are now calling for the coalition to
>>leave straight away. Nobody in Iraq wants that. The
>>opinion polls show it's just 13 per cent. Don't they
>>care about the Iraqi people and what they want at
>>all? This isn't a game. This isn't about poking a
>>stick at George Bush. This is our lives."

I don't think that statement was flushed, just that it had already been discussed. Some think that if the coalition pulled out there would be a very bloody civil war, that would leave things in Iraq even worse than they are now. Others don't see it that way, but why re-hash ground that's already been covered. There really isn't a *good* solution anymore. -joan