[lbo-talk] honolulu bus strike in 3rd wk, holds Rally

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Sep 21 14:28:31 PDT 2003

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Sep/20/ln/ln06a.html

Bus union submits five-year proposal

By Curtis Lum and Gordon Y.K. Pang Advertiser Staff Writers

Talks between the union that represents more than 1,300 city bus workers and bus management will resume Monday, with both sides reporting progress after nearly 12 hours of negotiations yesterday.

<snip> Yesterday's talks were the first since Sept. 10. The union took a four-hour break from negotiations yesterday to hold the rally attended by hundreds of Teamsters and supporters, which included members of other unions.

State Capitol sheriffs estimated a crowd of about 800 people in attendance while Honolulu police estimated the crowd at between 700 and 1,000. The union had been hoping for at least 1,000.

The rally started with supporters lining the length of the South Beretania Street sidewalk from Punchbowl to Richards streets and waving at honking motorists. It ended with a march across Punchbowl to Honolulu Hale where they chanted "What do we want? More wages! When do we want them? Now!"

Their request to speak to Mayor Jeremy Harris, on whom the union has placed much of the blame for the strike, went unheeded. Harris aides said the mayor was out busing commuters as part of the city's makeshift van service designed to blunt the impact of the strike.

In his absence, 144 Teamsters and their supporters signed the mayor's guest book in his office as amused police officers looked on.

Fiery speeches were given by Kahele and other Teamsters, as well as members of other unions.

"Let's show the mayor we're not divided, let's show Cowen we're not divided," Kahele said. As for the union's latest offer, he said, "if they don't like it, we're gonna stay out here."

Other union members were equally as joyous.

"It's rejuvenating," said Ken Low, a Teamster for more than two decades. "Whatever doubts that may have come from the media or the mayor, this scene speaks for itself," he said.