[lbo-talk] Reactionary Platitudes (Was Re: Marx, Brenner, Technology )

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Sep 22 11:37:27 PDT 2003

Justin wrote:

> NK's special because of its isolation and commitment
> to "juchem" probably would have been quite diff had
> the North conquored the penninsula.

OK, Justin: what do you think a united communist Korea would look like?

> There never was a communsit movement in Taiwan.

I didn't claim that there actually was. The point was that if communist revolution (indigenous, or, more likely, exported from right next door) had successfully taken place in Taiwan, it would look a lot like China today.

> China, hwoever, is huge, an absolutely gigantic plus --
> despite the Great Leap Forward and the inanities of
> the CR, the improvement in life for ordinary Chinese
> even under Mao was incalculable.

I'm not familiar with the social well-being indicators pre and post Mao. Even if they were a lot better post Mao, why should we think they wouldn't have risen similarly under Chiang Kai Shek?

-- Luke