[lbo-talk] "Cadre"? Re: dalai lama in nyc

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 12:02:03 PDT 2003

They're wrong, of course, and only people with their heads and lives deeply entwined in the partisan left could believe for an instant that even most of the people who participate in mass events, or even in organizing mass events, even know, or think they know, or give a damn, about the WWP's relation to ANSWER and its (the WWP's) position on the Hungarian Revolution or whatever. The audience at whom all this is directed, of course, hasn't a clue and doesn't care. Actuvists get involved with ANSWER (or whoever) because the groups are organizing in a public way that, if effective, appeals to a wide audience. (Loony pleas to "Support the Iraqi Victory Over US Imperialism!" do not thus appeal. The public responds because someone has done something that speaks to and focuses its feelings of anger. If sectarian groups manage to recruit a few activists through their good organizing, that may be unfortunate for those persons, but is hardly a reason to redbait the coalitions as Stalinist fronts.

The real effect of such redbaiting is to weaken the broad popular movement; instead of directing our opposition to govt policy, we are smearing each other as commie scumbags. And if you thing for two seconds taht the broad public or even the rank and file activist distinguishes between the Stalinist you despise and the democratic socialsits you love, think again. It's like the old story of the cop beating on the scab at a strike, snarling about You Fucking Commies, while the scab yells, But I'm an Anticommunist. Ahhhcch, says the cop, all you reds are the same to me.

I feel especially sensitive about this because at the time of the first Gulf War, I was at the receiving end of Perrin-like attacks. Solidarity and DSA had built an antiwar coalition in Columbus, Ohio, with some religious and liberal groups. Unsurprisingly, precisely because we were reds, we had taken a leading role in the enterprise. The night the war broke out, several of the religiosu-liberal leaders launched an attack on us as commie radicals who were using the movement for our own evil ends. The coalition split. Many spent the rest of the war debating commie perfidy. We -- the commies -- took those who wanted to act and formed a new group; we did waht was done in the next 100 days, but the effect on the people who just showed up to protest was devastating. Evers ince, I have had no patience, if I ever had any, for reactionary, right wing redbaiting. It's a sell out. It's a betrayal. It makes you unworthy of even thinking of yourself as on the left, or progressive. It makes you on the other side. I've seen it at work.

jks