[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Miike Quenling Ellis flagrant_sake at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 13:09:34 PDT 2003

--- Michael Albert <sysop at ZMAG.ORG> wrote:

> I don't think so...because it looks more like this -- how much
> sustenance is there, form society, for art -- and, more narrowly, for
> different art institutions....which have product....
>
> Within that -- then -- who gets to be the artists? Whoever the art
> institutions hire.
>
> It is like physicists -- society will give so much of the social product
> to get physics -- universities and labs will employ the physicists.
> Hiring is done by the institutions, in light of their budgets.
>
> This is like, how much sustenance is there, from society, for airlines,
> or bicycles, or whatever.
>
> All these cases are unique -- but the general issue is quite similar.
> And judging is similar too -- most people who might want some part of
> the social product going to physics certainly aren't going to judge who
> is on staff...etc.

so who decides who is on the staff of these institutions? physicists won't decide who is on the physics institution staff? or just the physicist that will get money from the allocation from the decision? won't all the pysicists be working in the physics institution(s)? i'm guessing you are trying to eliminate conflict of interests with the bureacratic decisions and such but would say physicists be making decisions about physics allocations or no?

> There is no majority vote...nothing that has anything to do with
> anything like that.

> So there would be, say, South End Press, and Z Magazine, etc. etc. --
> institutions where chomsky writers -- for which he in part works...and
> they would either get a budget, or not.

> More, society can decide, certainly, it wants x amoung alloted to
> dissidence -- I think a good one will -- and then that is assessed to
> various dissident institutions, and so on.

how does society decide this? seems like at some point it's either going have to be a majority vote, consensus, or market 'invisible hands'. with art you are still getting into someone deciding what is socially valuable labor or not with the allocation. i'm just curious how society would recognize sacrifice etc. or how that is determined.

~M.E.