[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Michael Albert sysop at ZMAG.ORG
Tue Sep 23 13:09:23 PDT 2003

> Charles: Yes, I am asking what your strategy is for
> displacing the current ruling class , which presumably will
> resist the institution of parcecon.
> What is involved in workers councils taking over workplaces ?
> Do you have a brief outline of the major categories of
> components of the process ?

I don't see how it is possible to give much of an answer in this venue -- beyond saying in my case something like --

Build movements that contest for non reformist reforms which not only improve people's lives but also leave those movements in stronger position and more eager for additional gains...

In my case, focus on economic, gender, race, and political relations and on foreign relations and ecology as well...

Form organizations consistent with and that lead toward what you desire for the future -- re parecon that means to the degree possible, as time passes, with balanced job complexes, with pareconish remuneration, abiding self management, developing councils, and so on.

> Charles: I'm thinking consumption decisions are an area of
> more women's power than in most areas of life under the
> current economic regime. Is parcecon premised upon aboliton
> of male supremacy ? I believe you address this in what you say next:

I don't think a parecon is likely without there being parallel massive changes in kinship relations, including overcoming male supremacy...and it certainly rules out gender or race based hierarchies, as well as class division, in production and consumption.

I think the people who currently determine the character of consumption are overwhelmingly the people who own the firms that produce what we consume -- and the dynamics of the market itself...with individuals only entering to make choices among what those influences have largely already determined.

> Charles: I always took it to mean that there would be enough
> freedom such that , if you were good at physics, AND YOU
> WANTED TO DO PHYSICS ( I hadn't really thought about those
> who were good at physics but didn't want to do it )you could
> and you would be encouraged to give as much as you could,
> according to your ability.

Well that would certainly be the case -- though you would have to have a balanced job complex.