[lbo-talk] Fwd: Justin and Dennis

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed Sep 24 05:18:14 PDT 2003

At 07:58 AM 9/24/03 -0400, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>kelley:
>
> > baiting, OTOH, is a logical fallacy: poisoning the wells of discourse.
>
>I've reread my posts from yesterday, and other than a few knocks at Justin
>(after his hysterical attacks on me), I don't see where I'm "baiting."
>Again, how is it "redbaiting" when I criticize a group for what it actually
>and openly stands for? Is ANSWER off limits? Is the fact that they back
>tyranny overseas beside the point?

you opened this with baiting: "i'd like to see how some folks here defend their horror at US occupation...."

When Monroe wanted to know who, you brought up ANSWER. Then you associated Yoshie with ANSWER. There is a defensible argument to be made as to why one would support an ANSWER rally even if you're not a supporter of ANSWER, just as there is a defensible argument as to why one wouldn't. Take those arguments seriously. Take seriously Yoshie's and Justin's claim that she doesn't support ANSWER in whole, just support anti-war rallies that call for troops out now.

Instead, you point to positions ANSWER's taken, declare them bad, assume any decent, right thinking person would agree, swipe Yoshie with the ANSWER brush because of a simple decision to attend and promote a rally, and all of a sudden she's an evil stalinist that no one is to take seriously and heaven forbid anyone listen to her arguments as to why we should go to ANSWER rallies even if we disagree with some or all of their political principles.

Dewd, you know how much i love ANSWER and you know how Yoshie and I fight like cats and dogs, I'm hardly have any incentive to get involved. But this constant harping away adds nothing to the conversation. It makes for a yawnfest. Even both you and Justin did nothing but engage in logical fallacy most of the time. It was a snooze! Get into a knock, down drag out flamefest over substantive issues, call each other names, threaten to come to blows, bring it the fuck on, but this "you're a hypocrit" "you're a stalinist" "You're a conservative" crap is too boring for even an iguana to want to watch.

I agree that calling out redbaiting at the drop of a hat can be a problem. That's why i'm pointing out that what is offensive is the fucking logical fallacy as substitue for decent argument or truly enjoyable and witty flamefest!

kelley