[lbo-talk] Re: redbaiting

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 24 07:43:36 PDT 2003

Kelley wrote:

> The other logical fallacy was to insist that people who hated the Iraq
> occupation but defended China/Tibet were hypocrits. Calling someone a
> hypocrite is ad hominem tu quoque. Logical fallacy. Bad juju. elides
> substance. you have more to offer than this cheap crap.

How so? Seems to me that if one is going to condemn one occupation, but defend another, one certainly courts the charge of hypocrisy. Especially if one does so on the basis of human rights, or justice, or principle.

Now, if someone defended the occupation of Tibet by China by arguing that Buddhism was an evil doctrine that should be stamped out, well, we couldn't call _that_ hypocritical. Lunatic, yes, but not hypocritical.