[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed Sep 24 10:37:52 PDT 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> It is not surprising that this would work in a catering
> or retail business, because there is relative little job
> specialization in those industries, and the risk
> associated with error/malpractice is rather low. But
> can you imagine a hospital where surgeons and janitors
> rotate between jobs? Or an airline where a baggage
> handler gets into the pilot's seat after he is done with
> a sales clerk replacing the brakes or the steering
> system on your car?

Woj is on to something. That would require being trained for many, many separate positions -- a severe demand on any workforce. Also, it could be profoundly disruptive, destructive even, to the basic functioning of any institution to mandate positions be in a state of constant flux. Seems akin to the incessant upheavals that some employees face in corporations today, only there the aim isn't equality but to keep them running scared and shoulder as many duties onto as little a workforce as possible.

My last job before returning to college was as an administrative assistant. Sure, I had a myriad of duties (bookkeeping, accounts payable, reception duties, minor billing inquiries, etc.), but when I had to take on even a minimum of sales duties when the sales team was out, it was a cluster fuck. Like many in corporate America, I just wanted to do the job I was trained and hired to do. I took pride in the work I did, and did it well, but switching positions was as exhausting as it was unrewarding.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!