[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Michael Albert sysop at ZMAG.ORG
Wed Sep 24 10:38:31 PDT 2003

> Woj is on to something. That would require being trained for
> many, many separate positions -- a severe demand on any
> workforce. Also, it could be profoundly disruptive,
> destructive even, to the basic functioning of any institution
> to mandate positions be in a state of constant flux.

There is no constant statge of flus...nor excessive training.

Right now all workers do diverse tasks. Same in a parecon. The difference is instead of 20% having all the empowering tasks, and the other 80% having none, we each have a different mix.

Yes, the 80% will get more training -- instead of going to schools that rob initiative, desire, confidence, and even the capacity to reason...so as to reduce people sufficiently for slots that require no more.

In fact, it isn't all that hard to learn a variety of tasks for work -- likely only one or one set will be complex, if that.

> Seems akin to the incessant upheavals that some employees
> face in corporations today, only there the aim isn't equality
> but to keep them running scared and shoulder as many duties
> onto as little a workforce as possible.

Once you have a job in a parecon -- you have the job. You don't have to keep switching, though some people will no doubt want a bit more diversity than the same work for overly long periods.

> My last job before returning to college was as an
> administrative assistant. Sure, I had a myriad of duties
> (bookkeeping, accounts payable, reception duties, minor
> billing inquiries, etc.), but when I had to take on even a
> minimum of sales duties when the sales team was out, it was a
> cluster fuck.

Because it wasn't your job.

Take those myriad of duties you had and just change them -- make the list more balanced in empowerment effects -- and likewise for others.

> Like many in corporate America, I just wanted
> to do the job I was trained and hired to do. I took pride in
> the work I did, and did it well, but switching positions was
> as exhausting as it was unrewarding.'

Parecon is not about rotation or switching positions -- it is about redefining the division of labor so the position we hold, have pride in, are trained for, etc., are different.