[lbo-talk] Re: dalai lama

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Sep 25 07:12:03 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 05:15 PM, Alexander Nekvasil wrote:

> I don't know much, neither, but I do know that Tibetan
> buddhism was a big inspiration for the SS (which saw
> itself as an order, of course.)

This is a particularly illogical smear tactic which is all too often resorted to by those who "don't know much": A received "inspiration" from B; therefore, everything objectionable about A can be attributed to B.

Somehow, the Nazis (those staples of Internet discussions) usually figure prominently in this tactic. Nazis were "inspired" by Nietzche -- therefore, Nietzsche was a "proto-Nazi" and everything he wrote was nonsense and should be rejected. In fact, his books should probably be burned. Even though he probably would have been disgusted by them, considering what he wrote about anti-Semites during his lifetime. Hitler and other Nazis loved Wagner -- therefore, Wagner's music is no good, and performances of it should be prohibited. In fact, all his scores should probably be burned. Etc.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax