[lbo-talk] Re: Said's passing

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:43:40 PDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:56:54 -0700, Brad DeLong <delong at econ.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> The collapse of Oslo that Said worked so avidly for in the 1990s has
> indeed had the sad and disappointing predictable consequences, and has
> put us firmly on the road to disaster. But Said deserves less than
> 1/100000 the blame we should put on Ariel Sharon, or Yasser Arafat and
> less than 1/100 the blame we put on your standard settlement-funding New
> York rabbi.

I'm glad you said this, Brad, for one reason. When I saw your comments about how Said was somehow guilty, or complicit, or somehow blameworthy for the failure of Oslo, I kept wondering, "What could Said have possibly _done_?" I mean, I know he wrote a lot, but I just couldn't see how his influence could have had any measurable effect beyond those of the major players.

It was sort of like blaming the Khmer Rouge on Noam Chomsky or David Dellinger.