[lbo-talk] Times on Said

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 26 11:37:10 PDT 2003

-
> From that vile piece crap:

In interviews, he identified himself as a kind of perpetual outsider, a man influenced by two cultures, the Arabic and the American, but belonging fully to neither.

"I've never felt that I belonged exclusively to one country, nor have I been able to identify `patriotically' with any other than losing causes," Mr. Said wrote in The Nation in 1991."

WS: That is an ultimate prize in my opinion.

In essence, the obituary summarizes Mr. Said's work and political positions, including the fact that he was considered controversial by Israeli nationalists. Maybe I am missing something, but I do not see what is so vile about that piece.

Wojtek