[lbo-talk] Re: dalai lama

Alexander Nekvasil a8504902 at unet.univie.ac.at
Thu Sep 25 10:34:06 PDT 2003

Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org> writes:

> On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 05:15 PM,
> Alexander Nekvasil wrote:
>
> > I don't know much, neither, but I do know that Tibetan
> > buddhism was a big inspiration for the SS (which saw
> > itself as an order, of course.)
>
> This is a particularly illogical smear tactic

It's a statement about facts, and as such, it has what logicians call a truth value, which means it is either true or false.

If you are interested in my tactics, I was asking myself whether Carrol's statement was credible in the light of what I know, and this particular piece of information points indeed in that direction. If Tibet had been all about smiles, tofu, and pacifism, it would hardly have aroused the interest of Harrer and friends. So, some nastiness must be hidden somewhere, most likely in the political economy and/or governing process.

If you find fault with my reasoning, say where.

> which is all too often resorted to by those who "don't
> know much": A received "inspiration" from B;
> therefore, everything objectionable about A can be
> attributed to B.

What exactly did I attribute to Tibetan buddhism?

> Somehow, the Nazis (those staples of Internet
> discussions) usually figure prominently in this
> tactic. Nazis were "inspired" by Nietzche --
> therefore, Nietzsche was a "proto-Nazi" and everything
> he wrote was nonsense and should be rejected. In fact,
> his books should probably be burned. Even though he
> probably would have been disgusted by them,
> considering what he wrote about anti-Semites during
> his lifetime. Hitler and other Nazis loved Wagner --
> therefore, Wagner's music is no good, and performances
> of it should be prohibited. In fact, all his scores
> should probably be burned. Etc.

In _Parsifal_ (Hitler's favorite), the Kundry figure, which obviously represents the _Shekhina_, gets baptised by Parsifal and dies immediately afterwards. Adorno saw this as prefiguring the genocide -- but of course, all this has nothing to do with the Dalai Lama, or with what I said.

cheers AN