"Right to Exist" ( Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Friedman)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 15:54:27 PDT 2003

There is an interesting elision here. Usually the idea that "the State of Israel has no right to exist" is a thinly veiled euphemism for a call for its military destruction, accompannied with a massacre of Iaraeli Jews. But you use this expression to refer to the idea that Israel has a right to maintain its ethnic-religious charactera gainst the peaceful and democratic determinations of the entire population that Israel in fact governs. So, do I believe that Israel has right to maintain its charcter as a Jewish state while ruling over a non-Jewish majority whose rights it denies and which is makes second class citizens? No, I don't. Does that make me a self-hating Jew? No. It does make me an Enlightenment liberal and a small d-democrat, though. jks