"Right to Exist" ( Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Friedman)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Sep 27 16:17:57 PDT 2003

> But you use this expression to refer to the idea
> that Israel has a right to maintain its
> ethnic-religious character against the peaceful and
> democratic determinations of the entire population
> that Israel in fact governs.

(I actually wasn't taking sides on the question; I'm just reporting what is usually the response that I've heard to Joanna's statement ...)

> do I believe that Israel has right to maintain its
> charcter as a Jewish state while ruling over a
> non-Jewish majority whose rights it denies and which
> is makes second class citizens? No, I don't.

I'm just saying that "one state" plus "right of return" is almost certainly a recipe for either apartheid or the dismantling of what is currently the State of Israel. I'm just wondering if Joanna (and I guess now you too) agree that it's the right way to go.