"Right to Exist" ( Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Friedman)

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Sat Sep 27 19:27:02 PDT 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:17:57 -0700, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> I'm just saying that "one state" plus "right of return" is almost
> certainly a recipe for either apartheid or the dismantling of what is
> currently the State of Israel. I'm just wondering if Joanna (and I
> guess now you too) agree that it's the right way to go.

I can't agree less. For one thing, a "one-state" solution couldn't _result_ in apartheid: apartheid pretty much exists there _now_. And I don't see how a change in a state's laws is a recipe for "dismantling" a particular state. (For one thing, giving the franchise to black South Africans didn't "dismantle" South Africa.)