[lbo-talk] Nuking Tel-Aviv was: Edward Said...

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 28 11:48:00 PDT 2003

Doug asked:

Are all those tales of suitcase bombs on the black market just fictions?

Unknown.

However, we can make some assumptions on the feasibility of suitcase fission weapons.

We know, for example. that the US successfully engineered artillery shell nukes in the 1950s. Remove the shell components unrelated to the atomic gadget and you could probably create something that could fit within a case (a fat one - but a case nonetheless).

Levels of sophistication in both materials science and high energy weapons physics are orders of magnitude higher than a half century ago.

Which means, sadly, that suitcase nukes cannot be dismissed as a 'Homeland Security' scare tactic.

More on this at -

http://gawain.membrane.com/hew/News/DoSuitcaseNukesExist.html

DRM