[lbo-talk] Paul Felton: Open Letter to Progressive Democrats

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 2 11:34:37 PST 2004

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Fri Apr 2 11:07:33 PST 2004: <snip>
>>***** Open Letter to Progressive Democrats
>>by Paul Felton
>>March 30, 2004
>
>Gee, a bunch of arguments I'd never heard before.

I haven't heard you make any counter-arguments to prove them wrong, nor do I expect you to be able to make any. I have yet to hear you explain why voters in New York, Texas, and other one-party states need to vote for John Kerry, nor do I think that you have any explanation.

In contrast, people like Joseph Wangaza, who says he is campaigning for Ralph Nader in Oakland, may find Paul Felton's essay useful. Those who, like Max Sawicky, intend to vote for Kerry but do not think that they need to refrain from critical analysis of the policy of John Kerry or the politics of the Democratic Party for that reason may also find it to be of interest.

>[lbo-talk] Kerry's Tax Cut Makes Me Wanna Ralph, Doug Henwood
>dhenwood at panix.com, Thu Apr 1 11:48:25 PST 2004
<snip>

I don't think that you are personally interested in getting involved in building an organization, and you said as much:

***** [lbo-talk] Taking Power, Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Fri Feb 20 14:37:00 PST 2004 <snip>
>>More importantly, why stand aloof and say that the Green Party
>>didn't do this or do that or do other things, rather than get
>>involved and help build the party, which you say you are in favor
>>of?

<snip>

I spend a lot of my life writing economic analysis for far-below market rates, and doing a radio show that takes a full workday to put together every week for free. That's my political work, and I do a lot of it. And I'm not really interested in becoming a shill for any political party. It would compromise my credibility and risk destroying my brain.

Doug

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040216/003885.html> *****

Or maybe you are expecting others to build an organization while you are carping about those like Paul Felton who are trying to do so. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>