[lbo-talk] Kerry's Tax Cut Makes Me Wanna Ralph

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Apr 2 18:24:27 PST 2004

At 2:13 PM -0800 2/4/04, Michael Perelman wrote:

>My initial question from a couple of days ago was why corps oppose
>corporate tax
>hikes if others bear the burden?

Or, indeed, why capitalists in general consistently oppose all tax increases and all increases in government spending which must be paid from taxes, if it is the case that the burden of taxation could be shifted to the working class.

Clearly, if it was possible to have the burden of taxation shifted to the working class, the capitalist class would long ago have done just that.

>Probably the best start would be to require that the tax code be
>written in less than
>5000 words. Stop loopholes for both rich individuals and rich
>corps. Just a simple
>progressive tax.

Well that would be fairer for some capitalists, but no doubt other capitalists would object that it would place an unfair burden on them.

Actually, no. More likely they would object that it would place an unfair burden on some wage-earners. Such an apparent show of solidarity with the working class ought to be sufficient to set off your bullshit detector.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas