[lbo-talk] Metaphysical not Financial

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 09:15:48 PST 2004

This isn't finance, it's metaphysics. On the idea that corporations are merely fictional entities, we must tsay that there are real people. However _as shareholders_ individuals are legal fictions, because what makes them shareholders is that they own -- another legal fiction -- a "share" in a fictional entity.

Personally, I think the metphysics is misguided, and we might as well admit that corporations are not fictional but real, just like lots of other collective entities. I am not a methodological individualist.

If the real objection is to granting corporations rights as persons in the sense of the Fourteenth Amendment, then we should start there, not with a metaphysical point. The 14A isn't about metaphysics, it is about politics. And morality.