[lbo-talk] RE: Gender diversity

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 3 12:04:17 PST 2004

kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:

> because we're human. Humans label and categorize. If we didn't, life would
> be a dizzying whirlwind of information coming at us. We'd be so busy
> processing it every minute, never able to rely on prior experience, that
> nothing would ever get done.

This is the controlling theme of both _Tale of a Tub_ and of the great Book 3 of Gulliver (which is why I've always preferred that book to the other three). It also undergirds the pathos of Rochester's "The Maim'd Debauchee," the protagonist of which has lived the life of a practicing nominalist, and now finds that Icarian embroilment in the sea of matter insufficient to give his life meaning.

Carrol