[lbo-talk] Air America Radio: Democratic Party Business as Usual

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 4 08:16:44 PDT 2004

Fed. of Fortune 500 Killers wrote:

>The Federation
>encourages listeners to turn off Air America Radio and
>instead push for democratization of troubled Pacifica
>stations like WBAI (NYC), KPFA (Berkeley), and KPFK
>(Los Angeles) and to participate in community-based
>independent broadcasting.

What does "democratization" mean in this context? Who should run the radio stations? The listeners? If so, which listeners? How much professionalism should there be? Too much of Pacifica's airtime is taken up by people who don't know what they're talking about and don't talk very well. Do we need more of that (in the name of authenticity and "community") or less?

Doug