[lbo-talk] RE: Gender diversity

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 13:46:19 PDT 2004

Miles Jackson wrote:

So I guess I take a more macro-level view here: strip clubs, regardless of the psychological imputations of the participants, clearly reinforce social stratification in a number of ways.

1. To put it bluntly, sex is made a commodity. This commodification--like the commodification of any human needs--is a crucial component of capitalism, and thus reinforces economic inequalities.

2. Stripping celebrates youth; there is a pretty rigid appearance "script" a stripper needs to follow to make decent money. --A perpetuation of age stratification.

3. The fact that women can make way more money doing stripping than doing most other kinds of work (e.g., teaching) reinforces gender stereotypes: women are prized sexual objects, and their worth is tied to their sexual attractiveness rather than other human (stereotypically male) qualities like intellect. --A perpetuation of gender stratification.

Like most social activities in our society, strip clubs reinforce existing social structure and existing forms of social stratification, regardless of the intent of the participants.

Yes, this is precisely right as I see things.

And there's something else to consider...

For years, a friend has said the apparently growing popularity of both pr0n and strip clubs is an index of the alienation and loneliness of our society -- which capital exploits for profit.

There are exceptions of course, but I believe most loyal and hungry consumers of the simulacrum of attention strip club patrons receive (and it's the attention they want from my observation -- not simply to be desired, but to receive the attention of attractive women) suffer from the lack of a satisfying sexual/romatic life and seek to fill this gap through the commodities of rented company or, in the case of pr0n, re-playable sexual imagery.

Loneliness. This is the portion of the story nearly everyone forgets or ignores -- focusing on the sexier topic of power and powerlessness.

DRM