[lbo-talk] Re: Paul Felton: Open Letter to Progressive

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sun Apr 4 20:30:15 PDT 2004

At 4:56 PM -0400 4/4/04, Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

> > It seems rather perverse to put the onus on those who are disenfranchised
>by the electoral system to justify their decision to vote according to their
>wishes.
>
>Why is it perverse to ask a human being to accept responsibility for her/his
>actions?
>
>> That the electoral system doesn't count their votes is something that you
>should ask those who designed the electoral system to justify.
>
>I do ask that. But I also believe that every person should acknowledge
>their own measure of responsibility. That to me is the first step toward
>being capable of producing change.

You are being blackmailed into voting for the Democrats, you say you must pay the blackmail, or be responsible for what the blackmailer will do if you do not pay.

But how are you responsible for the blackmailer's actions if you refuse to be blackmailed? Rather, if you pay a blackmailer, you are encouraging blackmail. So the blackmailer will continue his career of blackmail. Will blackmail millions of other people. You ARE definitely responsible for that. A far more serious burden of guilt as it indefinitely postpones the prospect of freeing yourself and others from bondage to the blackmailer.

Then there are the things the blackmailer can do with the proceeds of the crime, such as cutting welfare. The Democrats are not a neutral inoffensive choice, being the lesser of the two evils is still evil, but an evil you will be complicit in. Having cowardly succumbed to the blackmail and voted for them.

You need to realise that responsibility involves thinking ALL the consequences through, for yourself. Don't be such a weak coward, stand up to them and say no.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas