[lbo-talk] Re: Paul Felton: Open Letter to Progressive Democrats

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Apr 4 21:29:22 PDT 2004

On Sunday, April 4, 2004, at 11:16 PM, uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

> I was wondering if the globalisation of the reserve army of labour has
> contributed to this process. Chomsky says that the US business is much
> more
> class conscious business community, unlike other countries. It's bent
> on
> rolling back the entire framework civil rights and welfare state
> within the
> US. Is it the drive for higher profitability that behind this
> programme?

I don't know much about the economic aspects of your question; Doug and that crew would be in a much better position to discourse on that. But the big C is definitely on target about the superlative class consciousness of the US business world. Those guys are extremely smart and capable when it comes to running rings around workers. Just thinking about it depresses me. OTOH, they may be too smart for their britches -- I'm sure they are overlooking a few factors which will eventually do them in; I just hope we find out what those factors are before they do.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax