[lbo-talk] WMNF in Tampa

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at highstream.net
Mon Apr 5 18:48:59 PDT 2004

While I knew there are a lot more people around here where I live now, and that my chances of finding a progressive/radical community to be part of were much better, I was not prepared for the great luck I have in living within the broadcast range of WMNF-FM, Tampa, Florida. It's 88.5 on the dial and it is, IMHO, awesome. It's mission statement includes the championing of social justice and alternative views, it airs select Pacifica programming, which includes +ACI-Democracy Now+ACEAIg- every weekday+ADs- it airs its' own in-house hour-long 6pm newsblock Monday thru Friday+ADs- and its' entertainment programming is a daily showcase of musical eclecticism. Of all places to find the best community radio station in the country+ACE- MNF is, I think, an excellent model, and serves as such for community station programmers thruout the nation. It is run not as a +ACI-pure democracy+ACI-, but essentially programmers taking their cue from the listeners decide programming. Air talents as a rule are professional sounding, articulate, and very knowledgable. I don't agree with all the programming, but there seems to be a minimum kept of woo-woo pseudo-science and political crackpotism, what are in my experience the two deadliest sins of leftist media.

Maria