[lbo-talk] Sadr's popularity

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Apr 6 23:31:52 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2 Apr 2004 Doug Henwood wrote:

> Even 3,000 seriously pissed off people with weapons can cause a lot of
> trouble. It seems nuts to dismiss them for their size

Especially because their military component is not at all their biggest threat. The US's worst nightmare is huge violent rock-throwing crowds. It has no military answer to that at all. And the number of people who might be Sadrist enough to join such crowds are commonly numbered in the millions.

To make it even worse, these would be essentially Khomeneist crowds. Talk about the US's worst nightmare.

It used to be that our worst military nightmare was house to house fighting. Now that's going on in Fallujah, a city of 300,000, and it ranks maybe 3rd on the nightmare list.

Michael