[lbo-talk] Awful Lot' of Iraqis Don't Understand Democracy, Barnes in Iraq

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 03:51:24 PDT 2004

I came here in the early eighties from Hamburg , I remember going to a ,pretty mediocre,school play and having a buffoon behind us whooping 'only in America' which totally confused me, I mean, it was a school play not a NASA launch, and then later on the fourth of July going to the township fireworks display and a patronising neighbour saying' I bet you've never seen anything like this before'. Things have moved on and progress has been made, but not much, the lack of comprehension over why Sept 11th being a case in point.

Gary? ride si sapis

My mother lives in California, but is from Baden-Wurtemburg, near Tuebingen. She has been accused of coming to the US to take jobs away from American workers because of the awful living conditions in Germany. No, don't laugh, I'm serious. The American worker is being threatened by hordes of Teutonic immigrants crossing the ocean in barrels, apparently.

If Americans can be that widly delusional about Germany, can you imagine the insanity of their views of the Soviet Union? Or modern Russia, for that matter. Or Iraq.

My favorite little gem of Cold War nonsense, which used to show up in Reader's Digest and similar high-brow venues, was about a noble Christian smuggling Bibles into godless, atheistic Russia -- as if the Soviet Union did not print Bibles.